Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Last Tuesday

We were over at Purpose Driven Academy, sitting in on a lesson for the 5th and 6th graders about environmental issues, HIV/AIDS, etc. when I decided I couldn’t hold my pee and longer and headed to the bathroom. As I’m leaving, I recognize this little girls face but can’t figure out how I know her. She was wearing a hood like a little girl, Jandross, so I said, “Jandross?” and she said no. So I said “Gina laku nani?” meaning “what is your name?” and she said “Debra” where I then said “Kipsongo?” and she said “yes.” I couldn’t believe it and here is why. Like 6 weeks ago we went to Kipsongo for less than an hour where this little girl, who I actually thought was a boy, held on around my neck the whole time. She/he was missing a few teeth, which was so cute. Ok so fast forward a month and we are back at Kipsongo. I was looking for this little “boy” by searching the smiles of the kids (there were about 200 packed into a church). I didn’t spot him/her but kept going on with the day. A few hours later we took a tour through the slum where I noticed a jack-o-lantern smiling at me. I was so happy to see him/her again and hung out with her (at this point I found out her name was Debra) the rest of the day. So now we are back to last Tuesday as I am leaving the bathroom and little Debra from Kipsongo is standing there. I picked her up and went to ask one of the teachers just to make sure it was her. I found out she is an orphan, and she is from Kipsongo, however, it makes me so happy to know she is boarding at Purpose Driven Academy. I got to spend more time with her today. Megan and I washed the dishes last week and today, and she and Jandross stood by us the entire time. BTW, Jandross is also from Kipsongo, and is also an orphan. So yeah, Purpose Driven has been great.

No comments: