Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Last Thursday

Megan, Chris and I had the pleasure of helping with the building of a urinal at Gilgal School. Ben and Christine, who by the way are so cool, asked us to help because school was starting the next week. We helped move bricks which are handmade bricks that were stacked up in a pile with spiders, worms, moss growing on them. It was cool to see how everything is done by hand but made me thankful I am not in the building business. Anyway, Megan and I carried a ridiculously heavy bag of cement while Chris was helping the guys dig the border that had to be a foot deep (I didn’t think that sounded deep at first either, but it is). We all helped dig and remove the excess soil. Oh yeah, and it was crazy hot that day. It was totally fun, but I know Megan and I were tired. We got to help carry water from the well over to the pile of cement that was created on the ground not in a giant cement truck. Big rocks were also carried over to place in the ditch before the cement was poured. The process is so different from anything I have seen!
We had a crowd the whole time, including a drunk old man who came over to grace us with his stench and presence. Chris and I both took a picture with him which he then wanted us to pay him for. When we told him we weren’t going to, we said we could delete the pictures. Unfortunately, he did not quite understand digital technology so he didn’t realize that by clicking delete that meant the pictures were gone. He wanted to make sure we deleted both pictures that were taken and we did. What he didn’t know and still doesn’t know is that we actually took more than 2 pictures, so don’t worry, you can still “meet” him.

No comments: